“3 Steps” To Getting Your License To Carry License
**As of September 1, 2013 class time and range time are NO LONGER REQUIRED required for LTC/CHL renewals.**
Texas License-To-Carry Renewals
As long as your license is not expired more than 12 months you may renew your license. If you license has been expired more than 12 months the DPS handgun license renewal system will not allow you to renew your license. You will have to take the class all over again just like a new applicant.
If you handgun license indicates “Concealed Handgun License” instead of “License To Carry” you DO NOT have to retake a class to renew your license.
To renew a LTC/CHL you will need to follow the following steps:
- Renew your License-To-Carry/Concealed Handgun License with the state through their website.
- There are two ways to renew your License-To-Carry:
- Apply online for a renewal license from the below link and pay the renewal fees online.
- Download a PDF application file from the below link to print, fill-out, and mail-in with fees.
- Website: https://txapps.texas.gov/txapp/txdps/ltc/
- You may apply for your renewal up to 6 months before you license expires and no more than 12 months after it expires.
- If your handgun license is expired for more than 12 months you will have to retake the entire course just like a new student.
- Can I take the Texas LTC class online?
Yes. Texas law now allows the Texas LTC class to be taken online. Make sure you use an online course provider that is approved by the Texas Department of Public Safety like us.
- How long is the online Texas LTC class?
The minimum LTC class time required by Texas state law is four hours. Our online course is four hours long but you can take it at your own pace.
- After I finish the online course, how long do I have to complete the process?
You have two years from the day you finish the online LTC class to complete the process and apply for your license.
- Can I take the online LTC class on my smartphone?
Yes. Our online course works on all devices including your smartphone, laptop, desktop and tablet.
- Will the Texas LTC allow me to carry open and concealed?
Yes. The Texas license to carry will allow you to carry open or concealed. It use to be called a concealed handgun license or (CHL) but it is now called a license to carry or (LTC).
- How long will I have to complete the online LTC class?
You will have access to the online LTC class for one year to complete the four hour online course. After you complete the online course you will have two years to complete the process and apply for your Texas LTC.
- How do I apply for my Texas LTC?
You apply for your Texas License to carry on the DPS website Here. Follow their instructions at the end on how to schedule your fingerprint appointment. We recommend waiting until after the class to apply.
- Where do I get my fingerprints done?
You must apply for your LTC before you can set up your fingerprint appointment. All fingerprints have to be done by IdentoGo. After you have applied for your LTC you can scheduled your fingerprints two ways.